Sunday, March 3, 2013

Consultation (as required by law)

Apparently if you are going to donate an egg, or get IUI you must have this consultation with a licensed therapist as required by law.  Funny enough....you do not need to have this consult if you are donating sperm....hmmmm.  After the hour long consult, I understood the importance of this for those who have not done their homework.  There were certainly a few things during this that I had not really thought too deeply about.  For one,  they make it clear that not all people are going to embrace and support the idea of a single mom bringing a baby into the world without a father.  You are given some suggestions of nice ways to respond to these people that stop the conversation right where it started :)  Also, I really did not think too deeply about how I would talk to my child about this....I always figured I would use the terms baby daddy or something like that! Well...apparently using the term daddy gives some paternal connection to someone who is not any part of the child's life nor never will be. This can be deeply confusion to the child.  The term donor should be used, but never daddy or father.  Interestingly, they say to compare the donation of sperm to that of blood.  In other words, discuss with your child that people often give of themselves to help others.  Sometimes people give blood to help others who need blood, sometimes people donate organs or bone marrow and others give sperm for women really want to become mommy's!   The other interesting thing that I had actually thought about is that of surrounding the child with male figures. For example, if there are ever any male teachers the child should be in their class.  After listening to the research results on a lot of these studies, it all made perfect sense and I was glad to have had this hour with the therapist.  It made me feel even more prepared than I already am to become a single parent.  T-3 weeks until IUI! (depending on my lovely follicles).

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Definitely a new perspective~ I'm glad you went to the therapist. Fortunately, you have a lot of strong male figures in your life already~ and the child will have a very awesome mummy! L'chaim!!

    ReplyDelete