Sunday, February 17, 2013

At peace with my choice :)

I find it funny....I have put a lot of thought into this process and I have arrived where I am in peace.  I am confident that this is what I want.  Though...people still question me when I talk about it.  My male friends ask me why I don't find a donor that I know (but these men are never willing to be those donors).  I respond that it is less complicated this way and if I found a donor that was a friend and they wanted to sign off on any monetary responsibility, then what is the difference?  If I am going to be a single mom and the sole supporter, then this is the way it needs to be....and besides, I have learned SOOOO much more about my donor than I ever even knew about my husband.  My husband had an abundant amount of cancer in his family and he was ADHD and dyslexic.  You have a nearly 50% chance of having a child with dyslexia when one of the parents has dyslexia.  My first choice would still be to have a child with Chad....but being that that is not possible, I am going to be pretty picky about my choice.  The donor will resemble my family members and will be almost perfect in every way.  He is well educated with little negative health history in his family.  He has the same northern European background as my family.  This gives my child the most chance to look like his/her family members.  It has also been my dream to adopt a child from another country and that dream may still come true with child #2 or #3.  Who knows?  But I also very much want to have the experience of childbirth, so this was my first choice.  So believe me when I say, everyone had to right to think and choose their own path and I know I have chosen the right path.  I know people will have questions and comments....but they have not gone through the same thought process I have already gone through.  When they hear it, they are just hearing it for the first time....and their thoughts are the same thoughts I have sifted through over the past few years.  But I have made it to where I am and I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment