Friday, January 18, 2013

Choosing a Donor

When I was out with the ladies, they assured me that using a reputable bank and paying a little more was well worth it. They also said choosing a donor is very overwhelming.  The Donor Bank that I am using does very detailed checks on each of their donors and only accepts the best.   I feel confident that whomever I choose, it will be good!  So, I get onto their webpage and start browsing.  Let's start with the fact that I definitely want an open donor.  That cuts my choices in half,  but it is that important to me.  I would like someone who resembles my family members, since this child will be a part of 1/2 of their family tree....my half.   And if I could have a blue eyed child, like myself and my adorable niece and nephew....that would be pretty cool...but not totally necessary :)   So I put in my criteria.... and....come up with 8 choices out of 100's!!!!  I thought this was going to be overwhelming!  Well....this was just the beginning.  There are pages and pages of info about each donor...right down to great aunt Vera's high blood pressure!!  After watching Chad die of cancer, I definitely did not want to choose a donor that had cancer in the family.  I connected with 4 of those donors on a personal level.  I put them in my favorites.  I visited them often.  After a month of this, I upgraded so I could see their baby pictures.  WOooo!  That changed everything!  As it turns out, one of the guys looked a bit like my one brother and the other like the other.  One of them reminded me of Chad (in personality) and then the choosing got hard.  Eventually I felt like I just needed to pick which one I felt best with in my gut.  I ended up choosing a guy who said he hated stepping on bugs and that he usually catches them in the house and relocates them outside. That is EXACTLY what I do.  He is also a biker and very active,  so I just felt this connection that I needed to feel to choose a donor.  So.....next step.....first day of my February/March cycle....make the call and go in and see if it is a good month to start.   This included an ultrasound to look at my follicles are going to ovulate.  Now I just wait!!  Getting anxious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment